1/2 cup French lentils
2 cups chicken stock….or…..veggie stock
1 pkg baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1-2 pinches red pepper flake
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 T olive oil
1/4 white onion, diced
1/2 cup arugula
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. Place the lentils and chicken stock, or veggie stock, into a sauce pan.
2. Place the pan on high heat and bring to a boil.
3. Once the lentils have come to a boil reduce to a simmer for about 25-30 minutes until lentils are soft
4. Once the lentils are soft to the taste, place a large sauté pan over medium heat.
5. Add the olive oil into sauté pan
6. Once the oil is hot add you baby portobello mushrooms to the sauté pan. Sauté mushrooms until slightly golden brown.
7. Once golden brown add onion and red pepper flake, sauté for 1-2 minutes
8. Now add fresh garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes until it becomes fragrant. Make sure you don’t over cook the garlic because it could become bitter
9. Add lemon juice to deglaze the pan. Make sure you scrape the extra brown bits from the pan because that is where a lot of flavor is from.
10. Toss the cooked lentils with the mushroom mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste
11. Once plated add the arugula on top of the lentils for a peppery taste
Leave a Reply