1 package yellow rice; follow the directions on package to cook
– normally 1 3/4 cup water and 1 T butter needed when cooking yellow rice
sour cream; garnish
monterey jack cheese; garnish
1. The night before, you made a delicious Chicken Tortilla Soup in your crock-pot. If you didn’t eat all the soup from the night before, store the crock-pot fill goodies in the refrigerator over night (less tupperware to clean later).
***TIP: here is the link to the crock-pot chicken tortilla soup in case you didn’t want to search for the recipe for and easy money saving double meal http://audibleeating.blogspot.com/2015/01/chicken-tortilla-soup-in-crock.html
2. In the morning before you go to work plug your crock-pot back in and place the soup on low. This allows it to be warm when you return home from work.
3. When you get home and settled from a long day the hardest thing you have to do for dinner is make yellow rice. Place a sauce pan over medium high heat. Add water and butter to the sauce pan and bring to a boil
4. Once the water has come to a boil, add your rice. Give the rice a good stir, reduce the heat to medium low, and place the lid onto the sauce pan.
***TIP: rice cooks by steam, so don’t constantly pick up the lid and check on your yellow rice it lets the steam out
5. Get all your garnishes ready for your rice bowls. Wash and chop your cilantro, shred your cheese, and prep any other extra toppings you can think of adding to your rice bowls.
6. After the first 5-10 minutes I let myself check on my rice just once for peace of mind. I give it one more good stir and then continue cooking the rice with the lid on the sauce pan.
***TIP: continue to follow the instructions on the rice box because every package of yellow rice is different. I’m just telling you what my normal cooking routine is with the package of yellow rice I typically use.
7. Now that your rice has cooked it is time to make our rice bowls.
8. Find your favorite deep dish bowl. Add your rice to the bottom of your bowl. Top the rice with your chicken tortilla soup filling (use a slotted spoon when scooping the soup out from the crock-pot, it will get rid of the extra juices your don’t want for your rice bowl)
9. Garnish with your favorite toppings
Leave a Reply