|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||2 hours|
- 3 cups high antioxidant trail mix find at whole foods
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips dark chocolate or milk chocolate
- 1 non stick cooking spray coconut oil
- After making this granola bar recipe, you will never buy another. I did it the easy way, and bought the trail mix already together from whole foods. If you don't have a whole foods near you here are the items in the trail mix...jumbo raisins, roasted and salted pumpkin seeds, almonds, walnuts, goji berries, dried cranberries, and dried mulberries. You can just as easily buy these ingredients and make your own trail mix.
- Ok, so find a medium size bowl and pour the trail mix into the bowl
- Next, find an 8x8 or 9x9 square pan and line it with foil. This will help get the bars out of the dish after they have set up, and quite frankly make for an easy clean up. Spray the foil with a non stick cooking spray. I personally like to use pam coconut oil spray, to keep the healthy theme going.
- Now we are ready to place a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add honey, butter, brown sugar, salt, and vanilla extract to the sauce pan. Melt and bring everything to a simmer.
- Once the melted butter mixture has hit a simmer, kill the heat and pour over the trail mix. Give everything a good stir and pour into the 8x8 lined pan.
- Smooth the sticky trail mix out in the pan, and then top with chocolate chips. Press the chips into the bars, so they get stuck into the granola mixture. ***TIP: the reason why I add the chips on top instead of in the trail mix is, I didn't want them to melt.
- Cover with plastic wrap or foil and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. I actually made mine at 4:00 in the afternoon and pull them out the next morning, because I forgot they were in there (whoops).
- To cut into granola bars...flip the large square granola bar over, and out of the dish. Peel off the foil, and cut into 1 inch bars.
- To store them, I wrap each bar in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container. They are perfect for a breakfast on the go, or a healthy afternoon snack! Enjoy!!!
Leave a Reply