1.5 pounds hamburger
8-10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
3 beef steak tomatoes, diced
3 roman tomatoes, diced
2; 15oz cans diced tomatoes (Italian blend)
6 garlic cloves, diced
1 small pkg white button mushrooms, sliced
2 portobello mushrooms, sliced
1 yellow onion, diced
1 cup beef broth or red wine (I used beef broth)
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/8 tsp red pepper flake
2 tsp salt and pepper
1/3 cup olive oil
1-2 tsp sugar
2 T tomato paste
1 pkg whole wheat spaghetti pasta, cooked to al dente
1. Place a large dutch oven medium high heat, and add about a tablespoon of olive oil to the pot.
2. Once the oil is hot add your ground beef and a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté until the meat is cooked through and browned
3. When the meat is cooked drain off the extra fat and place the browned ground beef to the side ***TIP: leave the meat out if you want a vegetarian sauce
4. Use the same dutch oven and place over medium heat. Add your olive oil, onions, and garlic. Sauté until the onions are translucent, but make sure you stir frequently so the garlic doesn’t burn
5. Once the onions have cooked through add your diced tomatoes and canned tomatoes. Cook that for about 15 minutes
6. After cooking the tomato mixture add your beef broth, Italian seasoning, red pepper flake; cook for about 5 minutes
7. While those flavors are cooking together over the next 5 minutes, pull out your blender. After your 5 minute cooking period, place 4 cups (or about half) the tomato mixture into the blender to purée. I like to see the chunky tomatoes so that is why I don’t blend then entire sauce.
8. After you have blended half the sauce, add it back to the pot along with your basil, mushrooms, and browned ground beef. Cook all of this for another 20-25 minutes
***TIP: when cleaning your mushrooms don’t run them under water because they will retain the extra fluid. Just wipe them off with a damp towel to get extra dirt off of them.
9. After 20-25 minutes add your salt, pepper, tomato paste, and sugar. Taste your sauce at this point because you might need more salt or sugar. The sugar really helps cut the bitter taste from the tomatoes, just a tip when you are trying to figure out flavorings.
10. Cook those ingredients for another 5 minutes and plate up with cooked whole wheat spaghetti
***TIP: Garlic bread is always a must whenever we have spaghetti so maybe add that to your already carb loaded meal (everyone needs a cheat day, just saying!)
Leave a Reply