1/2 stick butter
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup creamy peanut butter
7-8 cups rice chex cereal (1 small box)
20 T powdered sugar (start with 4 T and continue to add)
1. You will need two types of bags for this very easy dessert, one paper grocery bag and one plastic grocery store bag. You place the large paper bag inside the plastic bag in case it breaks while making the puppy chow. This will also keep it a fast clean up!
2. Pour your chex cereal into the paper bag. You must do this first because you don’t want to play catch up when the chocolate is melted.
3. Now it is time to make a double boiler. Yes, to me a double boiler is like a four letter word; I much prefer the microwave. But for this, it is needed. How to make a double boiler…take a small sauce pot and add about a cup or two of water into the bottom. Place the sauce pot on medium to medium high heat, bring the water to a boil. Once the water has come to a boil place a metal bowl onto the sauce pan (like a lid). The steam from the water will melt the chocolate without burning it.
4. Ok, now that we have the understanding of a double boiler lets add our ingredients to the metal bowl we placed on top of our sauce pan. Add your butter and let it start melting.
5. Once the melting process of you butter has started add you chocolate chips. Start stirring and continue to make this your main focus. Once the chocolate chips have softened add your peanut butter.
6. When all three ingredients have melted into a smooth creamy form, it is time to pour it over the chex cereal in the paper bag
7. Fold the top of the bag over and give it a good shake, trying to coat all cereal pieces with the melted chocolate.
8. Peak inside the bag and see if you did a good job coating all the cereal. If you see some pieces still not coated, keep shaking.
9. Ok, now that all your cereal is coated it is time to add the powdered sugar. I start with 4 heaping T of powder sugar and then shake. I continue to do this until all pieces are coated evenly and the chex cereal is now white from the powdered sugar. I normally do this process about 5 times, so LOTS of shaking!
10. Once all your cereal is coated, put in a serving bowl and watch it disappear!
Leave a Reply