3 (12oz) packages ghirardelli white chocolate wafers; or 1 (24oz) package of almond bark
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
1/4 cup chocolate chips
10 small candy canes or 2 normal size candy canes; crushed
1. Lets start out by making a double boiler. Double boiler: a sauce pan with a detachable upper compartment (metal mixing bowl) heated by boiling water in the lower one (normal sauce pan). We are doing this to melt our chocolate without burning it. You could also try to use the microwave at 15 second increments but I prefer the double boiler because it allows me to continue to work on other things without having to stop every 15 seconds to stir and restart the microwave.
2. Ok, so we have our double boiler ready. Lets add our white chocolate wafers into the bowl.
***Random Fact: It is really hard to find almond bark in New Jersey, but if I had access to it that is what I would prefer using.
3. Give your wafers a good stir and continue to keep a close eye on the chocolate while we move our attention to the candy canes.
4. I only had the small individual wrapper candy canes at my house the day I decided to make this, so that is what I used. Unwrap all the candy canes and place into a small zip lock bag
5. Once you bag is sealed really really well take a rolling pin and crush them into tiny pieces. You will sprinkle this on top of your melted white chocolate later.
6. Lets go back to the melting white chocolate and give it another stir. The chocolate should almost be completely melted.
7. Once the chocolate is nice and melted add your peppermint extract. This will give your peppermint bark an extra layer of peppermint.
8. Ok, you chocolate is melted and your extract is added. Take a large piece of parchment paper and lay it on your counter top. If you are worried about a mess lay the parchment on top of a cookie sheet
9. Now pour your melted chocolate onto the parchment and smooth out with a spatula.
Once smooth sprinkle your chocolate chips and crushed candy canes on top and let cool.
***TIP: You could literally add anything you want to the top of the bark. I’ve done crushed pretzels and candy canes; coconut and candy canes; and now candy canes and chocolate chips. Feel free to make it your own.
10. Its been about 15-20 minutes, lets see if our chocolate has hardened.
11. If it has just break it up into chunks and serve. If it hasn’t then let it sit for a while longer and then break into chunks when cooled
***TIP/ALERT/STOP: Funny story! The first time I ever made anything with melted chocolate it turned out really really well and I was quite proud of myself. I had been married 1 year and was going to surprise Tanner with a chocolate treat. What I surprised him with was hardened chocolate down my sink drain. DON’T EVER PUT MELTED CHOCOLATE DOWN YOUR SINK DRAIN, IT WILL HARDEN AND YOU WILL HAVE TO TAKE APART YOUR SINK. That is my funny mess up I can share with y’all, or at least I thought it was funny and Tanner did not. Whoops, haha!! Enjoy this dessert and stick to disposing melted chocolate in the trash not the sink.
Leave a Reply