2 T of butter
6 green onions; diced
4 cloves garlic; grated
4 cups chicken broth (1 box); or you could use veggie broth to keep this completely vegetarian
2 cups orzo pasta
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 punch fresh parsley; chopped
1.5 pounds fresh halibut fillet; cut into four pieces
1 lemon; zest
1 lemon; halved (to squeeze over the finished product)
1. Place your oven on 350 degrees F
2. Grab a deep dish cast iron skillet and place over medium heat. THIS WILL BE THE ONLY COOKING PAN FOR THIS DISH!!!! Yes a one pot wonder, everyone scream with excitement because clean-up takes zero time.
***TIP: you can buy a cast iron skillet at wal-mart, target, bed bath and beyond for like $10-$20. They are super cheap and cook evenly.
3. While your cast iron skillet is heating up start chopping your green onions, parsley, zest your garlic, and zest your lemon.
4. In a small bowl place 1/4 of your chopped green onions and garlic in the bowl. Also place all of your lemon zest in the small bowl. Mix all of ingredients thoroughly and set aside until the end of the cooking process.
5. Ok, now lets get cooking. Place your butter and about 1 T of olive oil in your cast iron skillet.
6. Once your butter is melted add the rest of your green onions and garlic. Sauté this for about 4-5 minutes.
7. Now lets add your diced tomatoes, orzo, salt, pepper, 1/2 of your chopped parsley, and chicken stock. Bring all of these ingredients to a simmer and cook uncovered for about 15 minutes or until the orzo is tender. Over the 15 minutes of cooking you will see some of the liquid cook off.
8. While your orzo is simmering away lets prep our halibut fillet. My fish butcher normally removes all the bones and fillets the fish nicely. Sometimes they leave the skin on and sometimes they remove it. When I cook this I ask them to normally debone, remove the skin, and cut into 4 equal fillets. This particular time I didn’t have them remove the skin because I wanted to show you it is okay if you have to cut the fish skin off yourself. Just find a super sharp fillet or pairing knife, place the fish meat side down, and make small cuts slowly pulling back on the skin. If you cut a little deep, no worries it happens.
9. It has been 15 minutes of orzo simmering. Give your orzo one big stir and place your four halibut fillets onto the orzo mixture.
10. Now lets cover your cast iron pot with foil (acting as a lid) and place it in the oven. Cook it for 25 minutes.
11. After 25 minutes of cooking lets remove the skillet from the oven, remove the cover/lid and look in awwwww!!! You seriously just made an amazing fish dish with one pot.
12. Ok now we need to think back to pre baking. We placed a small bowl of a green onion mixture aside. Take this mixture and sprinkle it over the fish and orzo mixture. Also drizzle a small amount of olive oil and squeeze half a lemon over your fish.
13. Take the cast iron goodness straight to the table and blow everyone’s mind with this dish. Have everyone serve themselves and enjoy a meat free dish
Leave a Reply