2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 cup butter
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup strong black coffee
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup butter
4 T buttermilk
3 T unsweetened cocoa powder
2 1/2 cup powder sugar
chopped pecans (about a 1/2 – 1 cup)
semi sweet chocolate chips (1/2 – 1 cup)
dulce de leche (or any caramel sauce of your choice)
1. Pre heat your oven to 350 degrees F; butter and flour a 9×13 sheet pan
2. In your mixer add sugar and flour. Give it a quick mix just to incorporate the two dry ingredients.
3. In a sauce pan over medium heat add your butter, cocoa powder, and black coffee. Bring these ingredients to a boil, whisking frequently, and then kill the heat once it reached a boil. Pour your hot chocolate mixture into your dry ingredients (sugar/flour) and mix thoroughly.
4. Pour your buttermilk and eggs into the chocolate cake mixture, and mix thoroughly.
5. Alright, now your cake ingredients are done. Pour the cake mixture into your 9×13 sheet pan and bake for 25-30 minutes.
6. Fast forward 30 minutes and lets say your cake is now done. Remove it from your oven and place it on a hot pad or hot plate and lets start making our frosting to pour over your hot cake (YES Y’ALL HOT CAKE IT DOESN’T HAVE TO COOL 🙌🙌🙌).
7. To make your frosting grab another sauce pan and place it over medium heat. Add your butter, buttermilk, and cocoa powder to the sauce pan.
8. Bring your frosting to a boil, and then kill the heat once it has hit a boil. Add your powder sugar 1/2 cup at a time and whisk all lumps out of the frosting before adding another 1/2 cup of powder sugar.
9. After you are done making your frosting just pour it over your warm cake.
10. Now the fun part….add your turtle toppings. There really isn’t certain measurements for the toppings, just add to your liking. Start with chopped pecans, then chocolate chips, and lastly the caramel.
***FUN FACT: I was guzzling milk to counter how sweet this cake was, while my husband turned to me and said, “that wasn’t to sweet, what is your issue!” Needless to say it crushed my sweet tooth but didn’t his. To all chocolate lovers…..THIS IS FOR YOU!
Leave a Reply